NNGA Library : Black Walnuts
Articles & Books About Black Walnuts
The articles summarized below have appeared in an NNGA Annual report and are an example of the kind of information in the NNGA library. An index of NNGA Annual Reports from 1910 – 1974 which can lead you to other articles on black walnuts is available for purchase. An online index of Nutshell articles through 2013 is also available on this website.
When ordering an article, its name, length, and the Annual Report it is in is required. Note this information for inclusion on the order form.
- Propagating Pecan and Black Walnut in Missouri by University of Missouri Center for Agroforestry, 1994,10 pp
- Eastern Black Walnut Seed Size Trail by L. Miller, 2 pp
85th Annual Report of the Northern Nut Growers Association – 1994 – Miller tells of his study with seed size and it’s effect on the seedlings produced.
- Comparison of Slow and Quick Release Fertilizers on Black Walnut by F. Ponder, Jr., 4 pp
85th Annual Report of the Northern Nut Growers Association – 1994 – Ponder traces the results of differing tree fertilization programs over a five year period.
- Selection Effectiveness for Black Walnut Nuts and Timber by G. Rink , et al., 9 pp
85th Annual Report of the Northern Nut Growers Association – 1994 – Rink, et al provide the results of a 9 year study on 248 walnut trees comparing selection for growth rate and nut-bearing characteristics.
- Grass Control Improves Early Growth of Black Walnut More Than Either Deep Ripping or Irrigation by J.W. Van Sambeek and F.D. McBride, 11 pp
84th Annual Report of the Northern Nut Growers Association – 1993 – Van Sambeek and McBride present dramatic results of grass control on black walnuts.
- Growing Black Walnut in Kansas: Field Observations by J. Rowland and W. Reid, 6 pp
84th Annual Report of the Northern Nut Growers Association – 1993 – Rowland and Reid recommendations for walnut plantings in Kansas after examining existing plantings across their state.
Books and Files
- BLACK WALNUT FOR PROFIT: A Guide to Risks and Rewards by Bruce Thompson, 1976, 285 pp
- BLACK WALNUT by Bob Chenoweth, 1995, 334 pp
- Walnuts: Miscellaneous information Loose-leaf File, 107 pp
- BLACK WALNUT AS A CROP US Department of Agriculture Forest Service, 1973, 114 pp
- BLACK WALNUT CULTURE US Department of Agriculture Forest Service, 1966, 94 pp
- KNOWLEDGE FOR THE FUTURE OF BLACK WALNUT US Department of Agriculture Forest Service, 1997, 256 pp
- BLACK WALNUT FOR THE FUTURE US Department of Agriculture Forest Service, 1982, 151 pp
- UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI CENTER FOR AGROFORESTRY PAMPHLETS: Propagating Pecan and Black Walnut in Missouri
- UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI CENTER FOR AGROFORESTRY PAMPHLETS: Why Black Walnuts
- MANAGER’S HANDBOOK FOR BLACK WALNUT USDA Forest Service, 1977, 22 pp