What's New on the NNGA Web site
When something new is added to this web site, a link to it will be listed below.
You can be notified whenever this Web site is updated.
Just send e-mail to our Webmaster, requesting "NNGA Web site Updates".
Your e-mail address will be put on a mailing list so that we can notify you of updates which occur monthly.
Click here to request notification of Web site updates.
- February 12, 2017 - Nut Grower Calendar Updates
The 2017 Ontario Hazelnut Association Eighth Annual Symposium will take place on Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm. The theme of this year's event is "The Future of Hazelnuts in Ontario". Participants will explore the path the Ontario Hazelnut Association (OHA) is taking, in partnership with Ferrero Canada and the University of Guelph, to significantly expand the industry over the coming decade. Visit the calendar for details.
- February 7, 2017 - 2017 NNGA/NAFEX Conference Updates
Visit this page for a description of the general schedule and to receive information about the call for papers.
- February 7, 2017 - Nut Grower Calendar Updates
The Society of Ontario Nut Growers (SONG) is having presentations from professionals, farmers and hobbyists at its winter technical meeting. This meeting is open to everyone--not just members.
- February 7, 2017 - Feature Article of the Month
This month's article is "Breeding Better Walnuts for the Southeast" by David N. Griffith with an introduction by Jerry Henkin, NNGA Librarian
- February 7, 2017 - Scionwood Swap Page
Click HERE to see an addition requestion for scion wood exchange. This exchange request involves persimmon, a common interest of both NAFEX and NNGA members, as well as apples and berries.
- January 15, 2017 - New Apparel
We have added 2 new hats and one new T-shirt to the nut grower apparel page. One hat is a vintage ball cap and the other new hat is a very attractive olive green outback hat. A Khaki colored T-shirt with the NNGA logo is also a new addition. Click HERE to see pictures of this new NNGA apparel .
- January 7, 2017 - Link to New Resource
A link has been added to "The Health Benefits of Hazelnuts," an article which will explain how and why hazelnuts can reduce the risk of heart disease and diabetes. Click HERE to transfer to this resource.
- January 7, 2017 - Feature Article of the Month
This month's article was "Growing Nut Trees in Your Back Yard or Orchard" by Judy Scott and Jeff Olsen with an introduction by Jerry Henkin, NNGA Librarian
- January 7, 2017 - Scionwood Swap Page
Click HERE to see 4 new requests for scion wood exchange. Some of these exchange requests ask for and offer nut trees and rare fruits.
- December 10, 2016 - Home Page Update
We have added a picture of the Tifton Conference Center, Home of the 2017 NNGA / NAFEX Conference, to our home page.
- December 10, 2016 - Nut Grower Calendar Updates
A Pennsylvania Farm Show will take place in Harrisburg in January. Exhibitors may register now. The 19th Annual Pacific Agriculture Show is featuring innovative equipment and technology for the agriculture industry.
- December 10, 2016 - Scionwood Swap Page
Click HERE to see a new request and an updated request for scion wood exchange.
- December 10, 2016 - Feature Article of the Month
This month's article was "Jones Hybrid Hickory: A Case Study in Carya Curation" by Dr. L.J. Grauke
- November 7, 2016 - Scionwood Swap Page
Click HERE to see a new request for scion wood exchange.
- November 7, 2016 - Nut Grower Calendar Updates
A joint NNGA / NAFEX conference will take place in mid-August at the University of Georgia, Tifton. Visit the calendar of nut grower events for more details about this meeting.
- November 6, 2016 - Feature Article of the Month
This month's article was "Hazelnut Trees Are Easy" by Dawn and Jeff Zarnowski
- October 14, 2016 - Member Area Updates
The member area has been updated with the Summer Nutshell & Annual Report and an Interactive Cultivar Inventory Search. The software permits members to enter their own data (which may be made available to other members or kept private) and returns more specific information than the non-member version -- the name of the planter, company (if applicable), climate zone, soil pH, soil type, terrain, production in lbs., tree health, number of trees, year planted, city and state. These updates can be selected at nngamembers.htm.
- October 14, 2016 - Cultivar Inventory Search
Cultivar Inventory Search is a new feature which uses data from NNGA members to let you know where the types of nut trees you are interested in grow. The search will return the type of nut, cultivar, tree health, number of trees, year planted, city and state. Click HERE to go to the Cultivar Inventory Search.
- October 5, 2016 - Feature Article of the Month
This month's article is "Climate Change and Perennial Fruit and Nut Production: Investing in Resilience in Uncertain Times" by Guy K. Ames and Rex Dufour
- October 5, 2016 - Scionwood Swap Page
Click HERE to see a new request for scion wood exchange involving hickory, oak and crab apple.
- September 15, 2016 - Nut Grower Calendar Updates
1.The West Virginia Chestnut Festival with lots of games, food music and a cooking demo has been added to the calendar.
2. The American Chestnut Foundation Annual Meeting has also been added. The following presentations are open to the general public: "How to Grow Chestnuts" and "Using American chestnut root collar sprouts to establish germplasm orchards." See the calendar for details of these events.
- September 7, 2016 - Feature Article of the Month
This month's article is "Nuts: Safe Methods for Home Gardeners to Harvest, Store and Enjoy" by Ed Perry, Linda Harris, Maria Giovanni, Diane Metz and Christine Bruhn
- August 7, 2016 - Feature Article of the Month
This month's article is "Keeping Plantings Alive under Drought or Water Restrictions" by Janet Hartin and Ben Faber, UC Cooperative Extension, ANR
- August 6, 2016 - New NNGA Directors
We welcome Joe Hietter and Roger Smith to the NNGA Board.
- July 8, 2016 - Link to New Resource
A link has been added to PacificNutProducer.com, a website with a vast amount of information about orchard equipment, marketing and industry news, particularly for those who grow almonds, pistachios and Persian walnuts. Click HERE to transfer to this resource.
- July 8, 2016 - Stakeholders' Report added
Click HERE to access the 2015 Stakeholders' Report and prior reports. The Stakeholders' Report includes the Treasurer's Report and the President's Report which addresses the state of NNGA and plans for the future.
- July 7, 2016 - Feature Article of the Month
This month's article is "Greenwood Tip Grafting for Nut Tree Propagation" by Bill and Lois Davie
- July 5, 2016 - NNGA Marketplace Page
We welcome Lawn & Garden to the Marketplace Page again. You may know them for the Drill Cracker. Lawn & Garden has just brought back the Inertia Cracker, a unique cracker. Visit the Marketplace Page to learn about the Inertia Cracker and to see the Drill Cracker in action.